Propecia (Finasteride) is a patented name of Finasteride that is available for purchase in the U.S. without a prescription through a pharmacy online.
A little history of the discovery of finasteride – a medication to treat hair loss in men. In the early nineties, the company Merck has developed finasteride for the treatment of enlarged prostate. It was a drug in pill form at a dosage of 5 mg of finasteride.
As often happens in clinical trials of the drug, was found an interesting side effect – hair growth in patients. As a result, further work was patented drug Propecia.
In 1997, the Office for Supervision of the Food and Drug Administration has approved finasteride (1 mg at a dosage) for the treatment of male type of baldness.
For men, testosterone is the most powerful of the hormone androgen, which affects the hair follicles, sebaceous glands and the prostate tissue. Inside the cell testosterone is converted to dihydrotestosterone by the enzyme alpha-reductase.
Dihydrotestosterone just affect the skin structure, hair follicles and sebaceous glands. Propecia prevents the activity of the enzyme alpha-reductase, thereby, reduces the level of dihydrotestosterone in the scalp and helps a man keep his hair.
Clinical trials of finasteride were carried out in five years in 16 countries: USA, Germany, Austria, Brazil, Belgium, Canada, France, Ezra, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Mexico, Norway, Spain, South Africa, Switzerland, United Kingdom.
Several years of using the drug for more than a million patients show that finasteride is designed for long-term use, it is safe and effective in the treatment of male type of baldness. Results from clinical trials were published in the medical journal article Kaufman “Long (5 years) multi-national experience with finasteride 1 mg in the treatment of androgenic alopecia in men.”
Studies have shown that Propecia 1 mg:
- Is effective and safe in treating male pattern baldness type regardless of the nationality of the subjects reduces hair loss, improves their condition, and stimulates new hair growth. In 86% of the study there was a stop falling out of hair, while 65% started to grow new hair;
- From the first day of the drug Propecia is lowering dihydrotestosterone;
- 3 months is slowing down hair loss;
- 6 months significantly reduced hair loss and even new growth occurs;
- After 12 months have seen the preservation and improvement of existing hair, as well as the growth of new hair to replace lost.
If the drug Propecia does not show the results after 12 months of treatment, it is unlikely to help in the future.
Men who took finasteride for five years, observed the following results:
- Two years after taking the drug Propecia 99% of men reported cessation of hair loss, among them 66% of men have also observed the growth of new hair to replace lost
- After five years of taking the drug, most men confirmed that they have become less bald.
Propecia is contraindicated in women and children. In the application of Propecia in pregnant women can cause serious disorders of the reproductive system of a child. The drug should not accept those who are allergic to components of the drug.
Side effects of Propecia is in the application and increase the sensitivity of the breast, pain in the scrotum, as well as itching, rash and sensitivity (a small swelling) lips. Side effects in the sexual sphere, marked by clinical trials were rare and seen only at three percent of men. Men experienced the following side effects:
- Decreased sex drive;
- Difficulty getting an erection;
- Reducing the number of sperm.
Note, if you are taking a blood test for prostate cancer, then Propecia may distort the results.
This does not mean that the use of Propecia is to prostate cancer. On the contrary, in the amount of finasteride 5 mg used to treat a pre-prostate and its prophylaxis in risk of hyperplasia.
Summary information for patients:
- Propecia – this is the first and only drug for oral administration against male pattern baldness type (hereditary hair loss);
- Propecia (finasteride 1mg) should be taken daily with meals or before meals per pill;
- The earlier you start taking the drug Propecia, than more hair you can save;
- Clinical studies have shown that in the first year of taking finasteride, 86% of the men kept their hair or have even increased the amount of hair on his head.